Favorite drugstore skin and makeup finds!

Ever heard the term "high end ho"? Well, that was me. Actually, it still sorta is me. I like buying the "good" stuff. I like walking into a Nordstrom or Macy's and be able to point at something and say, I like it, and not give a crap about the price. All I wanted to hear next was "How will you be paying for that Miss Gorgeous?" (I know I know, I had to make myself seem super important and pretty). But when my financial situation changed due to loss of employment and a drop in my household income, I found myself having to cut corners. This taught me an invaluable lesson about the cosmetics and skincare industry - more money doesn't necessarily mean better. If anyone knows me well, they'd know that I'm the queen of returns. If I'm not pleased with something, I'd bring that s**t right back to where I bought it from. Needless to say, I did find some gems at reasonable drugstore prices that I adore! Read on for my favorite items and why I like them. I've also added a rough estimate of how much they cost. Keep in mind that drugstore products often go on sale so you will always catch a bargain if you do your homework!

MAKEUP
Eye
shadows
  • L'oreal HIP (High Intensity Pigment) - $7.99 These are my alternative to MAC eyeshadows. The colors are gorgeous and very intense. Their quality is really amazing for the price. Check out your local CVS because these often go on sale for as high as 50% off!
  • NYX - $4.29
    These get very high ratings and just like the HIP shadows, there's such a wonderful color selection. I have a hard time finding these in my area though.
Mascaras
  • L'oreal Voluminous Carbon Black - $7.29
    I admit it, I spend more money on mascaras than I do on tampons. I buy one ...well, I'm not going to say how often. But whenever I do, this is the one I always come back to. Keep in mind that L'oreal owns Lancome, so if you like Lancome mascaras, you will most likely like L'oreals' as well, along wit
    h the cheaper price tag.
  • Maybelline Volume Express Waterproof - $5.99
    I am not a fan of waterproof mascaras as I find most of the time they irritate my lids. But, from time to time, I am required to have something that will last long and not smudge. This is it. I also makes my lashes super long and makes them very curly.
Eyeliner
  • Almay Intense i-Color Liner - $6.99
    Not many beauty websites rave about these, but I just adore the intensity of the colors. I usually purchase their Amethyst shade, which is a very vivid color, and their Black Pearl shade is probably the darkest black liner I've ever used (and believe me, I've tried many)
Bronzer
  • Physician's Formula - $10.99 - $14.99
    These prices of these are considerable higher than any other drugstore brand, but their bronzing powders are considered amongst the best. I love several of them, particularly their multi-toned ones and the booster ones.
  • NYC Bronzer - $2.99
    A way cheaper alternative to the above with gorgeous shades that never look muddy.
Blush
  • Milani - $6.50
    Sometimes these are hard to find, but, these also go on sale quite frequently at CVS. These blushes are great quality and long-lasting.



Lipgloss
  • L'oreal Color Juice - $8.49
    Another product I've always had in my purse and have repurchased throughout the years! I love the shine these give, and the fruity scent.
Lipstick
  • Revlon - $7.99
    These lipsticks are a staple in the beauty industry. These are the cheaper alternative to NARS, Chanel and MAC lipsticks, which are often used backstage at fashion shows, etc. I know about Revlon lipsticks because these were the only ones my own mother would use. She would even use them as a cream blush, a trick that I've known for years! They come in several different formulas and finishes, not to mention an impressive array of shades that no one at the drugstore level can beat.

SKINCARE

Cleansers

  • Neutrogena Oil Free Acne Wash - $5.50
    I have been using this for years and y
    ears and it's a household staple. I've spent so much money on other cleansers, but this is the only one that removes all my makeup and keeps my skin clear. It contains 2% Salicylic Acid which is great to clean pores, and acts as an antibacterial as well as a skin exfoliant.
  • Dove Beauty Bar - $2.99 for a 2-pack
    Yup, good ol' plain soap. I
    t works for me when my skin is dry and/or irritated and it's such a great bargain at about $1.00 per bar.
  • Cetaphil Cleanser for Normal/Oily skin - $7.00 for an 8 fl. oz. bottle
    A no frills cleanser that gets the job done. I actually enjoy the fragrance of this one!

Exfoliators
  • St. Ives Apricot Scrub - $3.00
    Who doesn't own this? I occasionally use the one with 2% Salicylic but be careful, over-exfoliating can be irritating to your skin if you are sensitive!
Moisturizers
  • Olay Complete w/spf 15 - $7.99
    I like the one for oily/combination skin and so does my son.
  • Cetaphil Lotion w/spf 15 - $8.99
    Can be a little greasy but when my skin leans toward the dry side, this is a savior. Caution: DO NOT GET INTO YOUR EYES. It burns like a b&$#*
Body Moisturizer
  • Palmer's Cocoa Butter - $5.99 for 13.5 fl. oz.
    Household staple! Smells delicious, keeps my skin super soft and ...did I mention it smells delicious?

All purpose products
  • Johnson & Johnson's Baby Oil - $4.00 for 20fl. oz.
    This is one of the best things you could do for your skin! Use this while you are still damp from your shower and let it sink it. I promise you will have baby soft skin! I also use this as an eye makeup remover. I also like to get the smaller bottles to carry with me when I travel.

  • Vaseline - $4.00 for 13 0z. jar
    Come on now. Did you think I'd forget vaseline? It's not only good for when you are getting ready to whoop someone's ass, but it's great at soothing dry, irritated skin. It's also great for your lips too.

***Note: At the time I wrote this I hadn't realized that Dr. Oz would be bashing petroleum jelly on the lips. The reason why I don't know...all I know is that it's worked for my ancestors and me for years!

PLEASE LEAVE A COMMENT AND/OR QUESTIONS! ALSO LET ME KNOW WHAT YOUR FAVORITE DRUGSTORE ITEMS ARE! I'm always on the lookout for new stuff to try out!

No comments:

Post a Comment